Pravda online reports that U.S. scientist Igor Krishtafovich has discovered a formula for laughter. While I was personally more impressed that Pravda even had a website, here’s the formula:
HE = PI x C/T + BM, where…
- HE = humor effectiveness.
- PI = personal involvement.
- C = complexity of a joke. The higher degree of complexity the better provided that your audience can solve the problem within 1 or 2 seconds.
- T = time spent by a person solving a joke. The longer the time, the weaker the effect.
- BM = background mood. A joker can have an advantage if an audience enjoys the show. However, a real good joke can “blow up” the most dismal audience.
Now I know a number of comedic performers frequent this humble site… Perhaps we can build on Dr. Krishtafovich’s fine work with some formulas of our own? As an example:
HE = DJ + DA, where…
- DJ = dick joke.
- DA = drunk audience.
Let the comments begin!