While I’m waiting for my laundry to dry so I can pack for tomorrow’s departure to LA, I should probably fire off some quick first impressions of Nokia’s flagship device. Here they are, in no particular order:
- The space bar being off to one side really isn’t an issue — but overcoming the muscle memory from my E71 is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought.
- The home screen widgets are cool, but I’d much rather have a Twitter widget than a Facebook one.
- I really wish there was a “sort alphabetically” option in the apps menu. The folders help clean things up, but how come I can’t have a folder as a shortcut on my home screen?
- I think Nokia made a mistake including a stylus with this handset. It reeks of last-gen Windows Mobile handsets and you really don’t need it — though I’m taking it with me just in case…
- I’m really not a fan of touchscreens, but I’m starting to see the advantages, at least when dealing with on-screen menus.
- And finally, Opera Mini really needs to update the icon for S60 5th edition — that thing is hideous!
More usage reports from the road… Just heard the dryer go off!
4 responses to “N97 24/7: The Phone!”
[…] Currie has felt it is high time to share his impressions of the N97 before he heads off to LA to kick off the 24/7 […]
Keep up the good work Andrew! I always read your no nonsense reviews. Looking forward to hearing how this thing performs on the road.
Odd Opera Mini icon, what opera mini version do you have? You can see mine on the bottom here:
Mine’s listed as v4.02(0) — I got it from the Ovi Store.
I wonder if I can check for upgrades from within the app…?